Best POS Systems for 2023
Find the best POS for your business at the best price.
Updated as of June, 2023
Our POS experts have compiled a list of top systems and current deals for you to shop and compare. See our advertiser disclosure.
Best for Restaurants & Bars
+ The new industry-standard software
+ Straight-forward pricing and rates
+ Commission-free takeout and delivery
+ Offers: Free Starter Kit Hardware Bundle
Best Budget-Friendly POS
+ Straight-forward pricing and rates
+ Free to get started, upgrade anytime
+ Offers: Free version, up to 25% off hardware
Best POS with eCommerce
+ Sell online & in-store
+ Prices starting at $29 per month
+ Offers: Free trial, then $1/month for 2 months
Best iPad POS for Restaurants
+ Designed for restaurants to run easier
+ Intuitive, easy-to-use platform
+ Multi-award-winning POS
+ Offers: Software starting at $69/mo
Best Cloud-Based POS for Retail
+ 100,000+ customers
+ Advanced reporting
+ 24/7 customer service
+ Offers: Free 14-day trial
Best for Small Business
+ Fast turnaround – free overnight shipping
+ Simple flat processing rates
+ 24/7 customer service
+ Offers: $450 Off (Limited Time Only)
Business.com POS Comparison
+ Find the best POS system
+ See the best deals
+ Offers: Free buyer’s guide
Best POS with No Upfront Costs
+ No upfront costs to start
+ Prices starting at $39 per month
+ Free menu programming and installation
+ Offers: Free POS, $500 signing bonus
Best POS for Pizza & Delivery
+ Solid loyalty program
+ Online ordering
+ Offers: No upfront costs, free demo
Best iPad POS for Small Restaurants
+ Cash discount program
+ Online & tableside ordering
+ Offers: Software starting at $59 per month
Secret way to compare & save
Table of Contents
- 1 Find the best POS for your business at the best price.
- 1.1 Best for Restaurants & Bars
- 1.2 Best Budget-Friendly POS
- 1.3 Best POS with eCommerce
- 1.4 Best iPad POS for Restaurants
- 1.5 Best Cloud-Based POS for Retail
- 1.6 Best for Small Business
- 1.7 Business.com POS Comparison
- 1.8 Best POS with No Upfront Costs
- 1.9 Best POS for Pizza & Delivery
- 1.10 Best iPad POS for Small Restaurants
- 1.11 How to Choose the Best POS System For Your Business
- 1.12 What are the Advantages and Benefits to Expect from a POS System?
- 1.13 What are the Top Features to Look for in POS Software?
- 1.14 Which Point of Sale System is Best for Restaurants?
- 1.15 What are the Different Types of Restaurant POS Systems?
- 2 Summary
How to Choose the Best POS System For Your Business
Efficient and reliable POS software is essential for running a successful business and being competitive. Purchasing a new point of sale (POS) system can help you streamline your ordering processes and more effectively manage your business.
Your ability to process transactions quickly is critical for ensuring you keep your customers happy. But many modern business owners still operate old computer systems, point of sale platforms, or cash registers that are inadequate, outdated, and in some cases not secure.
The last decade has seen huge leaps in POS technology and increased benefits from mobile POS solutions – hundreds of new POS companies can offer you a solution and help you upgrade from your old platform at affordable prices.
No matter what kind of business you own or manage, if you’re considering buying new software and hardware, it’s essential to be aware of what’s available in the current market and choose the best option for your business environment. Here’s what you need to look for.
What are the Advantages and Benefits to Expect from a POS System?
- Improved efficiency and speed of transactions: POS systems can process sales and payments faster than manual methods, resulting in shorter lines and faster service.
- Accurate and efficient record-keeping: POS systems can accurately track sales data, inventory levels, and customer information, making it easier to manage and analyze this information.
- Increased security: POS systems often include security features such as encryption and fraud detection, which can help protect against unauthorized transactions and data breaches.
- Improved customer experience: POS systems can make it easier for customers to make purchases and track their orders, improving overall satisfaction and encouraging repeat business.
- Enhanced marketing and sales capabilities: POS systems can track customer data and purchasing habits, which can help businesses tailor their marketing efforts and make informed decisions about inventory and pricing.
- Reduced errors: POS systems can reduce the risk of errors in sales and inventory tracking, which can help businesses save money and maintain accurate records.
- Increased flexibility: POS systems can be accessed remotely and used on various devices, making it easier for businesses to adapt to changing circumstances and meet the needs of their customers.
- Streamlined operations: POS systems can integrate with other business systems and tools, such as accounting software and inventory management systems, to streamline operations and reduce the need for manual data entry.
What are the Top Features to Look for in POS Software?
Here are some of the top features to look for in a modern POS system:
- Menu importing and integration
- Order modification capabilities
- Inventory tracking and alerts
- Cloud storage and back-office capabilities
- Automated calculations
- Automated sales tracking and reporting
- Gift card capabilities
- Loyalty scheme capabilities
Especially For Restaurants:
- Contactless payments
- Split billing
- Multiple tab management
- Employee accounts
- Timesheet management
- Online and delivery order capabilities
- Table management and reservations
This list is a small sample, but as you can see, there are many features and options to consider when choosing the best POS software for your business.
Having the perfect POS system with all the features you need to be programmed, installed, and proper training can save you and your staff tons of time when you’re just starting a new business or increasing efficiencies in your existing business.
Which Point of Sale System is Best for Restaurants?
With hundreds of small business, bar, and restaurant point-of-sale (POS) systems, buying a new small business POS solution can quickly become overwhelming.
With so many options, which POS provider should you choose? The annoying answer is it depends. It depends on your specific needs and business environment.
To give you an idea, when comparing the best POS systems, we highly recommend only buying a new restaurant POS solution if it is within your budget and has all the features you require to operate efficiently.
Specifically, for a bar, restaurant, or small business, we’d recommend the following top 5 must-have features:
- Reliability and support is a requirement (verify online reviews)
- Speed is essential for bars, restaurants, and retail
- Customized back-of-the-house reports
- Inventory and employee management
- PCI DSS compliance to protect your business
These are only the top 5 must-have features and requirements for a quality hardware and software solution.
There are many more options and features to consider when purchasing a new point of sale system. Furthermore, and to make your life easier, you can use our free interactive comparison tool to find the perfect solution.
What are the Different Types of Restaurant POS Systems?
There are many different restaurant computer systems, including Android POS, iPad POS, Mobile POS, Cloud-based software, and traditional terminals.
At POS USA, we represent several different types of POS systems. We can’t sell and support every system available on the market for every customer, so for that reason, we’ve put together this quick guide to assist in POS system comparisons.
Before you contact a dealer, here are a few tips from our point of sale system buyer’s guide to help with your research:
- Research – Understand your business requirements and then do your research accordingly. Making an informed decision makes all the difference.
- References – Don’t skip this step. Be sure to take the time to contact at least 2-3 business references to get feedback from current customers.
- Do not buy used hardware – We’ve seen used equipment die too many times. Purchase POS software and hardware that is new and under a warrant to avoid any issues.
- Ask about support – What is the support policy? Is it a phone help desk or onsite support? Is it available on holidays and after-hours?
- Backup systems – Find out how your data is backed up and stored for piece-of-mind in the event of a system failure or catastrophic event.
- Training – Ensure there is a full commitment by the reseller to train all employees to ensure you get the most out of this investment.
- Security – POS security is critical due to SSL vulnerabilities. Ask if the system is PCI compliant. Ask about insurance policies in case of a breach.
- Get a list of features and prices – When comparing systems, ask for a detailed list of point of sale features and pricing for each package available.
Use our interactive comparison tool to help you find the right POS dealer, narrow down your choices, and answer all your questions.
As you can see, you have plenty of great companies to choose from if you decide to upgrade or purchase a new point of sale.
Obtaining a new POS system is an investment in your business efficiency. Having the ability to properly manage your orders and staff can do wonders for your customer service. It also dramatically reduces the chance that mistakes occur in the workplace.
Automated reporting will give you greater control of your finances and significantly reduce your time on administrative tasks in the workplace.
The bottom line – there are many options to consider when choosing the best system, so think carefully about the features and functions you require at a price point that is affordable for your business. By choosing the best option for YOU, you and your staff can focus on the components of your business that matter most, like making money!
Looking for the best deal?
Compare with our free online tool.