Green initiatives are taking the food industry by storm. However, most of the products available are predominantly focused on reusable items that can be used for an in-house dining experience. With the rise of delivery services and take-out trends, we compiled a list of environmentally friendly restaurant supplies that you can offer your customers so they can go green on the go.
Biodegradable and compostable straws are excellent for smoothie parlors, bubble tea shops, and fast-food establishments looking to minimize their carbon footprint. These straws offer the same convenience factor as single-use plastic straws but can be disposed of in an environmentally conscientious way.
Serve a variety of cocktails, milkshakes, and soft drinks with a straw that is sure to get attention.
Compostable and biodegradable straws are available in a variety of materials that perfectly complement your menu. You don’t need to stray too far from the standard plastic straw to make an eco-friendly choice.
- Paper straws come in various colors and designs to add a whimsical touch to any beverage. They decompose faster than plastic, making them a great, environmentally friendly option.
- PLA straws look and feel like plastic but will naturally decompose over time. They are made of renewable resources and are durable for your take-out menu.
- Pasta straws create an eye-catching and eccentric presentation if you are looking to make a bold statement. They are made of wheat and water so they can be consumed after they are used. Plus, they look stellar in a Bloody Mary.
- Wheat straws are a unique straw alternative that can easily be used for hot beverages as well as cold drinks. Typically made from hay, they won’t get soggy sitting in a glass.
Eco-Friendly Take-Out Containers
Switch out styrofoam to-go boxes for more environmentally friendly take-out containers. Instead of sending your customers home with styrofoam, which is not decomposable, you can try out paper, sugarcane, or cardboard options that will break down over time.
To have a successful take-out and delivery system in your restaurant, you’ll want to choose the right to-go container for the job that won’t also clutter the landfills.
Here are some great options for packaging food the environmental way that is biodegradable friendly:
- Paper take-out containers are lightweight and are often microwavable, so customers can quickly reheat their leftovers. You can find paper alternatives with more than one compartment, which is perfect for packing various food items in a single box.
- Bagasse containers are made from the fibrous byproducts left behind from sugarcane processing. Not only are they made from a renewable resource, but they can also be composted after use. They are incredibly sturdy and oil proof to help contain fan-favorite menu options like wings or ribs.
- Corrugated cardboard boxes are often made from natural fibers and post-consumer recycled paper to reduce contributions to greenhouse gases. Not to worry, these boxes are entirely food safe and an excellent option for packing sandwiches, pizzas, and pretzels for customers on the go.
Whether you own a concession stand or Asian cuisine restaurant, there is sure to be an eco-friendly take-out container option for your business. Eco-alternatives of hinged containers and folded top boxes are available in a wide array of sizes and shapes to hold noodles, french fries, cake slices, you name it!
Luckily for the planet, plastic is not the only option for to-go utensils. A wide-assortment of biodegradable and compostable cutlery is dominating the foodservice industry. You can find the traditional fork and knife flatware sets in eco-friendly materials, along with serving spoons, tongs, spatulas, and other utensils as well.
Pack your to-go bags with all the necessary utensils for your customers, but the ones they won’t feel bad about disposing of afterward. Just like the take-out containers mentioned above, serving spoons and tongs can also be made out of PLA plastic and bagasse. These utensils offer a clean and elegant look, making them perfect for catering services or hot food stations and can easily be found at online stores for restaurants.
If your establishment features a more natural ambiance, send your customers on their way with bamboo or wooden utensils like chopsticks and sporks along with fork and knife sets. Both materials are organic and sturdy, so your guests don’t have to worry about any splinters during use. Your customers can enjoy a salad on the go or set up a pasta lunch for their coworkers without worrying about their carbon footprint.
Recycled Coffee Cups
Whether they are beating the morning rush or looking for that afternoon pick-me-up, busy customers will typically head out the door with a coffee cup in hand. Providing recycled paper coffee cups for their hot beverage can make a big difference in the environmental impact your establishment has on the planet.
Eco-friendly hot cups come in a variety of sizes and designs so you can find the perfect set to fit your drink menu and decor. Your customers will appreciate taking their morning coffee, tea, or hot cocoa with them in cups that are not made out of styrofoam. Unlike styrofoam, hot paper cups are biodegradable and will break down over time.
Many biodegradable hot cups are double-walled, eliminating the need for a cup sleeve and reducing waste overall. Best of all, eco-friendly travel lids are also available to keep drinks from spilling. You no longer need to rely upon plastic lids that take up space in the landfill.
Transform your establishment into an environmentally friendly haven with some of these top-selling eco-friendly take-out products. You can do your part for the planet just by replacing your existing to-go containers, utensils, beverageware, and other required restaurant equipment with more conscientious selections. Making these simple changes can also show your clientele that you care about the environment, inviting more customers to choose your establishment over others.